Sunday 14 February 2016

NEW TRANCE


Later this month we will be releasing New Trance, the first single from our new album. 
New Trance will be available from all the usual online music stores and streaming sites, and will have a glamorous new music video to go with it. 

New Trance was one of the last songs we worked on before going into the studio. When we headed to Karma it was a half written thing known only as the "Smiths Song", due to Mikeys Jonny Marr-esque lead guitar parts in the choruses. Working with producer Shane Edwards we increased the tempo of the original track and added a large slice of beef, I finished off the lyrics while we were in Thailand, and from a list of around eight potential titles christened it "New Trance". 

One of the consistent themes on the album is new technology, and its effect on our lives and personalities. It may seem like a silly, almost shallow thing to even consider, but I don't think it can be underestimated. You would just need to look back in time ten to fifteen years to see how massive an effect things like smartphones and social media have had on people, individually and socially. If we don't all take a moment now and then to think about what we are doing and how we are letting these almost universally accepted advances in "communication" into our lives we may soon pass a point of no-return. 

New Trance is a song about the hypnotising effect of smartphones. I myself often wonder how much more I would get done if i didn't have one. I find it hard to concentrate when my phone is nearby, when there are emails to check, news websites to read and random pictures to view. I get frustrated and angry with myself when I notice that I've been sitting doing nothing for half an hour because my phone has gotten hold of my attention. I complain that I never have enough time to do and learn new things, but then waste so many hours staring at a 6-inch screen. For me it's a sneaking feeling that I'm missing something. I will be sitting reading a book when I hear my phone buzz, I ignore it, but then in the back of my mind I start to wonder if that buzz might be something important or exciting. I'll decide that whatever it is, it can wait. But then that original feeling remains and distracts me until I give up reading and check, just to get it over with, using the logic that the quicker I can see that its nothing important the quicker I can get back to what I was doing. But it never quite works out like that. I know a lot of people who suffer this more than I do, and I'm certain that there are millions more all over the world, and that many of them will never notice it is happening to them. There is a global epidemic of distraction sweeping the earth, if we are not careful then nothing will ever get done, we will remain trapped in the one moment, afraid to move, the human race will turn to stone. 

NEW TRANCE

I'm starting on a new life, an arms length from my face, 
in HD hyper-vision, twenty four hours a day, 
I join the conversation, but I don't have anything left to say....

Always an alibi, 
Always a reason why I'll never leave
Always an alibi, 
Always a reason why I'll never leave

My eyes have turned to glass, I don't know when I last blinked, 
all out of new sensations, we don it all again, 
I am bewitched, I'm spellbound, my new Medusa won't let me escape, 

Always an alibi, 
Always a reason why I'll never leave
Always an alibi, 
Always a reason why I'll never leave

Always a reason why
Always a reason why

3 comments:

  1. So true. Can't wait for the new single and album! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you good luck, guys! I believe you make true and honest music.

    ReplyDelete